Friday, March 26, 2010

Rebel Without A Cause


I really enjoy this movie especially the second time through. I agree with what William said in class. James Deans performance seems genuine and it still holds today. Using Semiotics it has become a huge myth in the culture of are society, James Deans character and attitude that is. But the other two actors Sal Mineo and Natalie Wood's performances seem over the top at points and outdated. However if you can get past this, which I believe is an easy step, it is an excellent movie. I really think it plays into the mind set a lot of young people have felt. I think this is why it is so succesful. Some scenes still make me laugh, like the cliff scene or the fact that chicken gets to Dean's character so badly. It all seems a little over the top but I accept it for the time period portrayed. The red coat and attitude is one of the most memorable things in cinema carrying over to culture. Smoking cigarettes, nice bad ass coat, boots, a screw you attitude, you can find it in any high school in America and I think they says something strong for this film. Also this film is very powerful in terms of Family, at least to me. The fact that all these dysfuctional kids with messed up families, (I mean one kills puppies) can come together and become their own family and be happy for the brief period there together. It's a powerful message and image to see. this is another reason its so popular with me and other's.

1 comment: