Thursday, January 21, 2010

The Graduate:Thoughts


I have seen this movie numerous times, however every time I do I find another aspect of it that I find memorable. Firstly I love the use of dialogue as the driving force of the action or plot. Long shots in scenes such as Ben conversation with his father in the begining show this. Another aspect I really enjoyed is the overall feel of the movie. We feel alienated and awkward and confused and lost with Ben.
The use of semiotics is also very prominent in this film like many others. My favorite part happens to be the scuba suit and its use as an alienation tool in the film. All we see is wide open space,essentially nothingness as only Bens breathing hits are ears as we experience what he does. Ideas like this are used throughout the film to give us ideas or thoughts as viewers. Another example would be the shot under Miss Robinsons leg.
I also felt that the people that surrounded Ben especially Miss Robinsons portrayed and played in to the Paridigms of the upper wealthy class. Obviously Ben's family and friends are well off and sucessful. Mrs Robinson especially followed the codes of the whole Desperate Housewife myth at least at first.
The Graduate has always been one of my favorite films.

No comments:

Post a Comment